Logan Library "Create a READ poster" report by Norma Mullen

As a new librarian, I decided to "introduce" myself to the community as the librarian with this poster.

I was, therefore, the model and I sat at a table reading a book as my daughter took the picture. There was considerable background "stuff" as it was taken in a kitchen dining area. The picture was taken on an older digital camera with a very non-professional photographer. However, when transferred to a floppy disc and then brought up on the computer at our class it didn't look to shabby.

During class however, when we tried to enlarge it for the poster it did not have enough pixels. (Or the other way around-whichever is right). So, it looked very splotchy. Mary Ann and Gail quickly decided it was not a major problem--as it seemed to me--and it was decided to use the picture for bookmarks instead of a poster, leaving the picture small.

I still was able to edit the picture and remove all the background "stuff" and I even made my big, fat arm smaller. That was a hoot! Anyway, I added a patriotic background, made myself rather discreet within the whole and added our library hours at the bottom to make this bookmark a useful tool.

I really liked the way it turned out and Mary Ann made them up for me. My board members were delighted with the results and we think they will be much more effective in the long run than a poster would have been for us.

I have been giving them out to my patrons when books are checked out, trying not to duplicate. Usually, when handing out the bookmarks a simple, quick explanation of the how and why is given.

Thanks to CKLS, Gail and Mary Ann for putting on this workshop and making it so easily accessible.

0 Comments:

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks